gouache artist board, 11” x 17”, signed and dated 1935 lower right and verso. Original labels and historical description verso.
Wilbur Kurtz was a Georgia artist, historian, illustrator and writer born in Oakland, IL. He became a foremost authority on Old South Atlanta. He studied at DePauw University, Art Institute of Chicago, and with George Wilmer Browne. He lived in Atlanta, Georgia where he contributed articles and illustrations to Atlanta Constitution, Atlanta Journal. He founded the Pen and Brush Club of Atlanta. Kurtz was an honorary member of Atlanta Historical Society; and a member of the Atlanta Symposium, the Atlanta Civil War Round Table and Atlanta Artists Association. His work is at Georgia’s Executive Center; the Woodrow Wilson Shrine at Staunton, VA; five murals in the National Bank of Abbeville, SC; a large proscenium arch decoration-in collaboration with Don Dubois-for the Macon, GA City Auditorium, six large murals for the Georgia exhibit at A Century of Progress Exposition, Chicago, a series of paintings of buildings which housed the Coca-Cola Company, Atlanta; the Coca-Cola Bottling Companies in Houston, TX and Atlanta, GA; Atlanta Women’s Club, Clark Howell School; Federal Reserve Bank; Atlanta Historical Society; Atlanta Chamber of Commerce; governors Mansion(mural), First Federal Savings and Loan, Piedmont Driving Club, advisor for the restoration of the Cyclorama, the Battle of Atlanta, at Grant Park. He was the technical adviser and historian for “Gone with the Wind” (1939); “Song of the South” (1946); and “The Great Locomotive Chase” (1957).
|Artist First Name||Wilbur|
|Artist Last Name||Kurtz|
|Materials||gouache on artist board|
|Markings||signed and dated 1935 lower right and verso|
|Size||11” x 17”|
|Comments||Original labels and historical description verso. The painting is in excellent condition.|